[TUHS] RL02 drives available

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Oct 5 06:36:44 AEST 2014

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> They are late-production ones, too (looked, but couldn't find a date) -
> they have the anti-RFI/EMI 'finger' strips (the kind that make a
> pressure-loaded contact with the incoming connector shell), which I
> personally had never seen on any RL0x drives.

Ex-FAA?  Airport radar?  Those puppies are *powerful*.

ObReminisce: Back in the 70s-80s, the University of NSW put its new
computer centre on the top floor of a 14-floor building (they were afraid
of student riots at the time[*]), within clear view of Sydney Airport; the
windows were lined with mesh, and you could hear them *click* every time
the radar swung around.

[*]

Ah yes, the top floor.  The other reason was fear of flooding.  One day,
the air conditioning sprang a major leak, and this corrosive green liquid
ended up all over the brand spanking new high-speed CDC card reader...

-- Dave