[TUHS] 2.9bsd on 11/45 restoration

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Oct 8 04:15:44 AEST 2014

On 2014-10-07 03:00, norman at oclsc.org (Norman Wilson) wrote:

>    The 11/70 service manual is all good, but it's definitely not enough.
>    Ideally, you should have access to the full drawings, the service manual
>    for the CPU, the service manual for the memory subsystem, I seem to
>    remember that the FP11 has its own service manual, and I think the
>    massbus interface also has its own documentation set.
>    Also, the memory system consists of both the Unibus map, the cache and
>    memory bus system, and they you have separate documentation for the
>    memory boxes (either MJ11 or MK11 box).
>
> It might be worth while to contact the Living Computer Museum.
> I forget whether they have an 11/70 running or just an 11/45,
> but I do know that they collect all the documentation they can
> get for old computers--I saw the room where they store it.
> Whenever they need to use it, or there's some other need to
> access it, they try to make time to scan it, so the precious
> copy can stay in the archive room.

LCM have atleast one 11/70 running. Although they are not really doing
anything fun on it. I hope to maybe help them with that next time I'm
there. I can't remember seeing any 11/45 running, but I'm pretty sure
there are some in their storage if nothing else...

I'm not going to try dragging a lot of documentation from Sweden to
Seattle, though (I'm not even in Sweden myself lots of the time). On the
other hand, I know they have plenty of documentation, so I would hope
they (and/or CHM) already have most of it.

> Since their goal is to have ancient computers actually
> running, they are certainly interested in having all the
> documents (even if you can't get the wood, as Warren might
> remark at this point), including full engineering drawings.
>
> It's also a neat place to visit if you have some free time in
> Seattle.  I'm disappointed to have figured out that, although
> I'll be in Seattle for a conference in about a month, I won't
> be able to visit LCM while they're open unless I skip some
> conference sessions ... or unless I can convince them to open
> up specially.  Anyone else on this list planning to attend
> LISA and interested in visiting a museum of old running
> computers?

I know of the place, and have known Rich Alderson for a long time.
It is a fun place, and I could see myself working there, if I just had
the right offer. Don't expect that to happen, though...

I'll be there for different reasons in about a month from now. But my
weekends are free... :-)

	Johnny