[TUHS] Codata restoration - day 1

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Oct 11 04:00:07 AEST 2014

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014, Engel, Michael wrote:

> After carefully examining the power supply and checking the generated
> voltages, we were convinced that this wouldn't kill our Multibus boards.
> Maybe some of you are interested in our progress, so I though I would
> send you an update.

Yes please!  I long for the days when it was possible to understand the
entire kernel source...

> After reconnecting the Multibus backplane, we started the system with
> only a CPU board and a memory board. On one of our CPU boards the
> smaller (P2) Multibus connector is masked with tape, I'll have to dig
> deeper to find out what is deactivated by this…

The P2 bus is designated as "private" i.e. do whatever you want with it
with your proprietary hardware.  I don't think the "standard" CPU board
even looks at it.

> One of our two CPU boards is currently non functional (the one without
> the masking take, this doesn't say a thing on the console UART, will
> bring in the scope in Monday to check for details). The other one brings
> up the monitor startup message and prompt on a connected serial terminal
> (emulator) - however, we are unable to get any characters echoed back.
> The serial cable is working, we tried all sorts of handshake
> configurations. If we get any characters back (the system is running at
> 9600 baud, I tried all combinations of 7/8 bit, none/even/odd/mark/space
> parity and 1/2 stop bits), these are garbled and contain mostly "1" bits
> (0xfc, 0xfe, 0xff or similar).

Have you tried speeds other than 9600?  They look to me like framing
errors.

-- Dave