[TUHS] early cc variable and function names

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Oct 17 12:40:49 AEST 2014

Noel Chiappa scripsit:

> The a.out symbol tables use 8-character fields to hold symbol names. However,
> C automagically and unavoidably prepends an _ to all externals (I forget
> about automatics, registers, etc - too tired to check right now), making the
> limit for C names 7 characters.

The _ was only for externals, including all procedure names.  It prevented
collisions with names introduced into the assembly-language source or
in libc.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
A male Jang appeared at my side.  "Get a grip on yourself," he said.
"Get a grip on your graks," I suggested.  --Tanith Lee, Drinking Sapphire Wine