[TUHS] early cc variable and function names

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Oct 18 17:25:56 AEST 2014

On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 21:51:56 -0400, Mark Longridge wrote:
> So it would seem that function names can only be 7 characters in
> length. I am not sure if limitations of early cc were documented
> anywhere.

This is really an identifier issues, and it's documented in K&R 1st
edition, page 179:

  DEC PDP-11      7 characters, 2 cases
  Honeywell 6000  6 characters, 1 case
  IBM 360/370     7 characters, 1 case
  Interdata 8/32  8 characters, 2 cases

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.