[TUHS] Thompson at Berkeley on an 11/70

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sun Apr 12 01:37:52 AEST 2015

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> In FreeBSD there are two files /usr/share/dict/web2 and
> /usr/share/dict/web2a, suggesting that they're Webster.  web2 sounds
> like the words file, while web2a apparently consists of compounds.
> web2 doesn't contain Ritchie or McIlroy, though it does contain
> "organizationally".  The oldest entry in the svn history is:
>
> r1638 | rgrimes | 1994-05-31 05:09:18 +1000 (Tue, 31 May 1994) | 2 lines
>
> BSD 4.4 Lite Share Sources
>
> I don't have sccs, so I can't check the origins of that file.
>
> Comments?

There is no existing SCCS history for those two files.
But you can see the background about it in the README from the SCCS.
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/share/dict/README?revision=49371&view=markup
(Also in the later FreeBSD README too.)

The web2 files were first introduced in 4.3BSD as documented in the
changes documentation (between the 4.2BSD distribution of July 1983 and
the 4.3 revision in 1986) 4.3BSD's usr/doc/smm/12.uchanges/7.t (but I
don't see this in the SCCS history).

We only have the complete operating system as of 3BSD and later and they
include "words" file from 32V. It doesn't have "Kernighan", "McIlroy",
nor "organizationally". The version continued from 32V is
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/share/dict/words?view=log