[TUHS] Some notes on running UNIX v6 in 2015, using SimH and a healthy dose of documentation

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:37:14 AEST 2015

Warren,

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate your feedback and will make
appropriate changes.

Next? I have been reading Lyons and it has taken me some time to develop
enough background knowledge to make sense of his notes. A surface read
of the notes will give a novice reader some idea of the major
architectural components of the system, but a deeper read will require
the reader to have knowledge beyond what is required of most modern
software developers (PDP-11 architecture, assembly language, and UNIX
are prerequisite). It will also require access to a lab where the ideas
covered can be experimented with. A modern reader might be intrigued
from a historical perspective, but may not be compelled to go to the
trouble of learning enough about the past to recreate it or even see the
its relevance to the present or future.

Access in 2015 to a working UNIX v6 environment on a PDP-11 ala 1975 is
as unlikely as it sounds. However, using SimH to simulate a functional
PDP-11, with peripherals, a UNIX v6 tape image from 1975, and the
documentation from that period, which, thanks to TUHS is now accessible,
it becomes possible to establish a laboratory from which to experiment.
The resulting environment is not only historically interesting, but
technically interesting, as well.

Many of the interesting bits about our current systems, even seemingly
unexplainable things like magic numbers, have their genesis and rational
in this early system. The v6 kernel weighs in at around 10k lines of
code with a limited set of peripherals and yet it packs in features that
were either unavailable in larger more established systems or may have
been present in some form, but were orders of magnitude more lines of
code and attendant complexity. It was and remains an amazing operating
system and worthy of contemporary study.

So, I was thinking that next up, I would write up notes to help the
modern reader engage with v6 more easily in order to follow works like
Lyons. Right now, I am working on notes related to using the v6 assembly
and c languages to produce working code. While this may seem trivial to
folks who are expert, or who have worked in the actual environments, it
is not really so trivial for me or for other folks brought up on more
modern computing platforms and I would like to both understand the
workflows and to document them for others.

Regards,

Will