[TUHS] Some notes on running UNIX v6 in 2015, using SimH and a healthy dose of documentation

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Sat Dec 5 07:33:35 AEST 2015

> On Dec 3, 2015, at 7:52 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
> 	/* […]
> 	 * You are not expected to understand this.
> 	 */

Some of you may have been around for this USENIX
happening (or may even have been involved)!

Dennis was there wearing a "You are not expected to
understand this" T-shirt. A USENIX novice went up to
him and said "Oh, I can tell you about that." He started
going on about what the code is supposed to be doing.

Dennis stood there politely, not saying anything.

Finally, a USENIX old hand decided to rescue him.
"Come on, Dennis, we're heading off to dinner."

The novice looked down at Dennis’s nametag and
turned red.

Dennis said, "That's what we thought at first, but we
were wrong.”

 - Win