[TUHS] Adding an RP06 disk to a running V7 instance

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 08:33:31 AEST 2015

The v7 manual suggests running /usr mounted on a separate drive from /.
I am trying to follow this advice, but I am getting a read error on the
newly added disk.

I read hp(4). According to this man page, hp partitions each device into
8 partitions of different sizes and lengths (given in cylinders of 418
512-byte blocks). Here are the partitions from the man page, where disk
refers to pseudodisks on each drive (are these partitions?):

disk start length
0 0 23
1 23 21
2 0 0
3 0 0

It would appear that:
partitions 0, 1 and 7 combined account for the entire contiguous disk,
cylinders 0-815, and has the largest single partition (partition 7) of
any of the schemes. This seems like the default scheme and during a
default setup accounts for rp0 on partition 0 and rp3 on partition 7.
partitions 0, 1 and 6 combined only account for cylinders 0-411.
partitions 0, 1, 4, and 5 combined, but with more slices than the first
scheme, also account for the entire disk cylinders 0-815.
partitions 2 and 3 don't seem to be useable.

Given the above constraints, it seems like the first partition scheme
that includes partition 7 would also be a good choice to use for an
additional drive.

I kept this in mind and added an additional RP06 to the PDP11/45
simulation. At boot, I tried two different approaches to handling the
new drive, both had the same problem ultimately. The first was to simply
ignore it until after booting into unix and then creating the special
files as Ronald describes and then running mkfs:

/etc/mknod rp3 b 6 8
/etc/mknod rrp3 c 14 15
chmod go-w rp3 rrp3

/etc/mkfs /dev/rp3 322278
isize = 10328
m/n = 3 500

I don't see any errors, but the isize is different than it is during the
default install onto the first drive.

The second was to use tm(0,3) (is this mkfs or something like it?) like
I did for the first drive:
tm(0,3)
file sys size: 5000
file system: hp(1,0)
isize = 1600
m/n = 3 500

then after creating the same special files as above, mkfs works the same
way it did on the default setup on drive 0:
/etc/mkfs /dev/rp3 322278
isize = 65496
m/n = 3 500

Still no errors, but when I try to check the filesystem with icheck, or
restore a filesystem from tape to the drive, I get the following error:
read error 9736

full result:
icheck /dev/rp3
/dev/rp3:
read error 9736
files      2 (r=1,d=1,b=0,c=0)
used       1 (i=0,ii=0,iii=0,d=1)
free    1389
missing312699

What does it look like I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Will