[TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Dec 9 03:34:47 AEST 2015

OK, slightly OT...

Rear Admiral Grace ("Amazing") Hopper PhD was given unto us in 1906.  She
was famous for coining the term "debugging", whereby a moth was removed
from a relay contact in a *real* computer[*].

However, she must be condemned for giving us COBOL; yes, I know that vile
language, but I carefully leave it off my CV, as it seemed to be designed
for suits (Business Studies of course, but nothing technical) to spy upon
their programmers.

[*]
Defined, of course, where you could open a door and step inside it; I
actually did that once.