[TUHS] v6tar from v7 on v6, too large?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Dec 9 14:53:57 AEST 2015

    > From: Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>

    > The problem is this, when I attempt to execute the v6tar binary on the
    > v6 system (it works in v7) it errors out:
    > v6tar
    > v6tar: too large

That's an error message from the shell; the exec() call on the command
('v6tar') is returning an ENOMEM error. Looking in the kernel, that comes from
estabur() in main.c; there are a number of potential causes, but the most
likely is that 'v6tar' is linked to be split I+D, and your V6 emulation is on
a machine that doesn't have split I+D (e.g. an 11/40). If that's not it,
please dump the a.out header of 'v6tar', so we can work out what's causing the
ENOMEM.

	Noel