[TUHS] v6tar from v7 on v6, too large?

Mark Longridge cubexyz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:55:22 AEST 2015

Ok, I can make a few remarks about v6tar and ar and dd.

I've never been able to transfer any file larger than 64K to Unix V5 or V6.
Smaller than 64K seems to work fine. I'm using the same command on V5 and V6:

dd if=/dev/mt0 of=cont.a bs=1 count=90212

And I'll get:

24676+0 records in
24676+0 records out

Now, if we take 90212 and subtract 65536 we get 24676 bytes. So there
definitely seems to be some 64K limit here and I don't think it's just
a v6tar limitation.

I compiled the kernel with m45.s on V6 and mch.s on V5. I also don't
recall seeing any file on V5 or V6 larger than 65536 bytes, but it's
possible I've overlooked one.

My workaround solution was to simply keep tar files and archive files
under 64K but I would be interested to hear of a better solution.

Mark