[TUHS] v6tar from v7 on v6, too large?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Dec 10 10:23:07 AEST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM, John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> I thought "ld" stood for Link eDitor.  :-)

​I have never heard that justification.   It's always been talked about as
the "loader" communications I had with different folks including Dennis.
In the early/mid '70s the person that introduced me to Unix (tjk) always
called it the loader.​   Ted was (like many of us in those days) coming
from either IBM's TSS or MTS, and influenced by IBM's terminology as well
as DECs.

> On OS/8 there
> ​ ​
> were four linkers, one for each compiler:  ABSLDR, LOAD, LOADER,
> and LINK.  LINK was for the macro assembler, the last one published.

​I used TSS/8 and I've forgotten what is was called there, never used
OS/8.  In TOPS and Tenex land it was called a linker, as it was on TSS and
MTS.

> I don't remember the story on the various PDP-11 DEC OSes;

​RT-11, DOS-11 and RSX all called it a linker.​

> by VMS days
> ​ ​
> it was exclusively LINK.

​As the author of VMS's link and later versions, I'll try to ask Paul
tomorrow what he knows/remembers.  In my presence, he has b*tched about
Unix calling it a 'loader.​

​'

Clem

​