[TUHS] v6tar from v7 on v6, too large?

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 05:50:13 AEST 2015

On 12/10/15 4:06 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
>
>> Clem Cole scripsit:
>>
>>> ​To be fair UNIX was the naming sinner here IMO.  Unix's ld command
>>> is the
>>> "link editor",
>>
>> I thought "ld" stood for Link eDitor.  :-)
>
> You are completely wrong! It is the load mnemonic for Z8/Z80/Z8000
> Assembler
> to load the operand into the destination
>
>    ld r1,r2
>
> ;)
>
> Oliver

As a newb who doesn't know any better than what it seems they do, in
keeping with the original minimalism:
"as" should have been "me" for mnemonic encoder
"ld" should have been "la" for link and assemble
and some obscure function in /usr/sys/ken/sys1.c or maybe even
/usr/sys/dmr/sys1.c, because one guy's folder is as good as the next,
should have been called pldr(), for program loader, which would have
been the program 'loader'.

-Will