[TUHS] Pre-v6 images and 2.11BSD patches

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sat Dec 12 16:25:43 AEST 2015

Warren Toomey writes:
> We got the 1st Edition kernel up a while back and it had no groups.
> Look for unix-jun72 on Github.

Did anyone else ever try getting the v2/v3 kernel (i.e. the two
images on s1-bits, which I was able to determine is an init tape
as described in V3/man/man8/bproc.8) running? I remember getting
it working for myself in single-user mode, but ran out of space
trying to extract s2-bits (presumably the matching /bin-/etc-
/lib tape), couldn't figure out how to make or mount a second
filesystem (or if it was possible at all), and there didn't seem
to be any interest here at the time, and now I can't remember
what I did to get as far as I did.

I think it's the oldest extant binary distribution the archive
has.