[TUHS] Pre-v6 images and 2.11BSD patches

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sat Dec 12 18:28:48 AEST 2015

Warren Toomey writes:
> We used the binaries on the s2-bits tape as the binaries for the
> v1 kernel. We had to tweak things a bit so that we could run the
> first C compilers.

I'm talking about the s1-bits tape, though. It contains two
binary kernels (the warm/cold ones described in the manpages),
as raw data in the sections that aren't mentioned in the Readme
file. (i.e. the first 50176 bytes).

I figured this out by analyzing the file and noticing it
contained copies of /etc/init, getty, /bin/chmod, date, login,
mkdir, sh, tap, and ls, which is similar to the lists of
programs mentioned in:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V1/man/man7/boot.7
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V3/man/man8/bproc.8

I worked out that the rest of the structure also matched, though
I think the sizes were different.