[TUHS] Pre-v6 images and 2.11BSD patches

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Dec 12 21:25:00 AEST 2015

On 2015-12-12 06:31, Peter Jeremy<peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
> Also, I've seen suggestions that there's a 2.11BSD patch later than
> 447 but I can't find anything "official" andwww.2bsd.com  is either
> down or inaccessible from all the systems I have access to.  Does
> anyone know if 448 or later were released?  And given the issues with
> www.2bsd.com  would someone be willing to mirror it (assuming we can
> got a copy of it)?

Yes, I did 448. Various bits and pieces that were fixed there, but
unfortunately I haven't managed to reach Steve to get it officially
sanctioned.

I've passed it out a few times, but there is no canonical place for it.

You can find it at ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/2.11bsd/

Feel free to pass that information around.

Things fixed in there:
. Added a timeout to boot prompt for automatic boot
. Made console 8-bit clean
. Changed gethnamadr to fall back to /etc/hosts if dns fails.
. Fixed kernel build process to get version and date properly into kernel.
. Fixed raboot to work on non-DEC mscp controllers
. Fixed tmac macro to work correctly after 2009.
. Fixed a couple of documentation errors.

Essentially small issues that bothered me as I was running on an 11/84
with a CMD controller a few years ago. A system on which I also booted
other OSes, which is why the 8-bit clean issue also bothered me.
(Also was really surprised at the ugly Y2K fix someone had done with
tmac, which failed again in 2010).

	Johnny