[TUHS] tar on v6 not creating directories on v6

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Dec 13 08:23:58 AEST 2015

On 2015-Dec-12 15:53:54 -0600, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>That was ugly and all of it was output. What exactly did I wind up with?:
># ls -l
>total 19
>drwxrwxrwx  2 root       32 Oct 10 12:54 y
>-rw-rw-rw-  1 root     8704 Oct 10 12:54 t.tar
>
>Ugh. Probably don't need the y directory...
># rmdir y
>y ?
># ls y
>y not found

Presumably, it's not 'y' but has some non-printable characters in it.
You could try "od -c ." to see what the entry actually is, or move
t.tar out of the way and "rm -r" remove the next level up.

>I think this error is simply an effect related to the failure to create
>the necessary directories properly.

If you run "mkdir foo" from the shell, does it work properly?  That will
let you split between the problem being in tar and the problem being in
mkdir.  Adding some printf()s to checkdir() seems a reasonable step.

--
Peter Jeremy