[TUHS] Pristine version of 2.11BSD

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Fri Dec 18 21:04:59 AEST 2015

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> writes:

> I heard from Steven Schultz. He says that there was never a version
> control repository for 2.11BSD, so yes someone would have to patch -R
> to get back to the pristine version with no patches.

That's not going to be easy.  Some of the patch level transitions
involve removing old source files.  Of course, if one is lucky, the
files that got removed along the way will turn out to have been created
at some earlier transition...  Quite the puzzle to figure out, anyway.

Going the other way, one might start with a 2.10 source kit.  Of course,
it is known that the initial 2.11 was 2.10 plus a lost set of changes,
but with luck, it might turn out that the files that cannot be traced
backward from current 2.11 can, in fact, be traced forward from 2.10
using 2.11 patches.

So working backward, while regenerating individual removed or
overwritten files by patching them forward from 2.10, *might* succeed.

I'm almost tempted to bring the necessary data when we go to our
mountain cabin for New Year's...  :)

-tih
--
Elections cannot be allowed to change anything.  --Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble