[TUHS] ed.c on Unix v5

Mark Longridge cubexyz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 18:34:52 AEST 2015

>> I trimmed the source a bit, there's a function at the
>> end called getpid()  which is commented out.

> If your V5 has getpid(), then it's a...  strange version...

I went back to the original uv5swre.zip file which was what I started
with and had another look to be sure.

It's not listed on tuhs under v5 but if one looks at /lib/libc.a via
'ar t getpid.o' you can see the object file getpid.o

There's no other trace of getpid in v5 as it's not in the v5 manual
and there's no getpid.s in the disk image. I'm not sure if having
getpid in v5 is anomalous or not, perhaps you or someone else can
actually remember as I'm a johnny-come-lately to the party.  There's
even some commands mentioned in the v4 manual that don't exist in the
v5 disk image.

It's possible that there's another Unix v5 that really doesn't have
it, perhaps an older one.

Mark