[TUHS] etymology of cron

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Dec 24 05:04:29 AEST 2015

Norman Wilson scripsit:

> The trouble is not that it's a conference paper.  The trouble is
> that that the `authority' being cited is just a random assertion,
> not backed up.

Okay then.  There are fields in which conference papers have zero authority,
and those in which they have a great deal, that's all, so mentioning that
the source for the bad information was a conference paper was, as the
lawyers say, more prejudicial than probative.

> It's as if I mentioned your name in a paper about something else,
> remarked in passing and without any citation of my own that you have
> a wooden leg, and Wikipedia accepted that as proof of your prosthesis.

Got it.

> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON
> (Four limbs and eight eyes, thank you very much)

Hexapodia is the key insight.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Income tax, if I may be pardoned for saying so, is a tax on income.
                --Lord Macnaghten (1901)