[TUHS] etymology of cron

Marc Rochkind rochkind at basepath.com
Sat Dec 26 02:21:55 AEST 2015

Got into this thread very late.

Some of the posts seem to assume that Wikipedia has some sort editing
oversight. I think of it as a collection of people. Somebody said that a
better source was needed, but that's just his or her opinion. It doesn't
mean that Wikipedia as an organization has rejected or dismissed the text
in question.

Anyway, I edited the article to reflect what I always knew and what
apparently Ken has actually confirmed. The acronym is ridiculous. One might
as well say that "cat" stands for "communicate as text" or that "ls" stands
for "label status". ;-)

Someone may back out my change, true, but then I can just put it in again.
I've been involved in these back-and-forths before, and in the past they
usually settled down after a while.

We'll see what happens.

--Marc