[TUHS] Unix on a game boy

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Dec 28 03:51:32 AEST 2015

Dave Horsfall scripsit:

> On Sun, 27 Dec 2015, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
> > Well, if it's what I remember, it's a Game Boy Advance, which has an ARM
> > CPU along with the nerfed Z80 of the original Game Boy.  Bit more
> > Unix-friendly than an actual Game Boy. ;)

Just so.

> All the same, I'd probably go for either NetBSD or DragonFly.

The constraints are pretty tight.  The GBA has 32K of on-chip RAM and 256K
of off-chip RAM.  Cartridges have 32M of ROM, so the system disk is stored
in ROM with a shadow overlay in RAM.  In any case there is no keyboard
or other character input device: all it can do is run a preprogrammed
set of commands in the shell.  So running an ancyent Unixe on SIMH makes
a lot of sense, since the device can never be anything practical.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Assent may be registered by a signature, a handshake, or a click of a computer
mouse transmitted across the invisible ether of the Internet. Formality
is not a requisite; any sign, symbol or action, or even willful inaction,
as long as it is unequivocally referable to the promise, may create a contract.
       --Specht v. Netscape