[TUHS] 2.9BSD on an actual rl02 - swap confusion

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Feb 9 08:09:52 AEST 2015

Yep, certain of the smaller drives like RK05’s had no way of “partitioning them.”   So you needed the swapstart to put it at the end of the volume.
Even before we got large drives, we put our swap on it’s own fixed head disk (RS-11).    Actually, in retrospect it probably would have been better to put temp there rather than swap, but it seemed to be a good idea at the time.    Later we got the bulk core boxes that emulated the fixed head disks and did put temp there.