[TUHS] mkfs somewhere else?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Feb 13 01:29:49 AEST 2015

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Norman Wilson wrote:

> Cleaning the heads probably isn't an option; when they crash, they don't
> just pick up material from the disk platter, they may themselves be
> damaged enough that sharp bits of the heads themselves are sticking out.

Not just that, but the aerodynamics have been screwed up.  The heads will
no longer "float" on an air-cushion; I believe the gap is the traditional
human hair width, if that.

Trivia: there is a small NiCd battery in the RK-05 drive which has to be
replaced every so often; its sole job is to drag those heads back in the
event of a power failure, whether it was writing at the time or not.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)