[TUHS] Illumos )

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jan 1 06:32:07 AEST 2015

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:

> Thank you for stressing the importance of Solaris as a Unix descendant for
> which source code is available.

​Amen​.   BTW:
I really don't consider Solaris a pure System V ​either.  Larry and his
siblings hacked on it pretty heavily.    SGI's Iris and NCR's RAS were much
closer to "pure" Summit code and that was not "Research" UNIX.   They all
devolved.

> It's a pity that we don't have public source code for the Solaris versions
> 2.1 to 10, so there's a 15 year gap between System V R4 and the first
> release of Open Solaris.
>
> I don't agree that BSD systems are a clone of Unix.

​Ditto.   To me, anything post First Edition of Research UNIX is UNIX.
Where hacking started and was slowly changed.   But the core BTL DNA was is
left intact.    Idris, Linux, Minux, etc. were clones, where the API was
followed and the DNS regenerated.

​Either way, it really does not matter too much.

Clem​