[TUHS] Illumos )

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 1 08:42:49 AEST 2015

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 05:19:15PM -0500, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> Wow, Larry, were you one of the guys in Sun who actually lobbied to abandon
> Solaris 2 and resurrect SunOS 4.x when Solaris 2.3 flopped?

Over and over and over again.  You have no idea.

>   Anyway, a friend I admire quite a lot took the time to put some of this
> Sun history and Illumos fork stuff into a talk at LISA a few years back and
> I think he did a really nice job.  Have a look if you like:
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRN7XLCRhc

Yeah, I know Bryan pretty well, we used to be neighbors in Noe Valley
and have spent a fair amount of time discussing OS stuff.  Here's
Bryan, Jeff Bonwick, and Bill Moore at my place in the Santa Cruz
mountains:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/photos/2007/05/257.html

and Bill and Linus talking file systems at the same party:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/photos/2007/05/255.html

The best shot was the next morning when the women were gathered around
Linus asking him how he lost weight:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/photos/2007/05/276.html

His answer?  "Eat less."  "Did you stop drinking?"  Hell no, I like my beer!"

Fun times.

I don't agree that Linux is as bad as you have described,
Linus has pretty reasonable taste.

Solaris may be sorted but /proc in Linux is oh-so-much-more-useful.

My view is Linux is pragmatic about stuff, Solaris was dogmatic about it.
Yeah, the latter leads to better thought out stuff but the former tends
to be useful sooner.

--lm