[TUHS] HP300/4.4BSD stuff

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Thu Jan 1 13:37:45 AEST 2015

Al  Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> Sorry, misunderstood the question. By the time of 4.4, weren't the
> distributions coming out of Mt Xinu and BSDI? I was just looking at
> press releases from around that time trying to track down BSD with NFS
> for VAX for someone and that seemed to be what was going on.

Mt. Xinu did 4.3 + Sun NFS for the vax. It required owning Unix
licenses before being able to get it from them. I ran it on vaxen
at Emory University in the mid-80s. Initialy it was 4.2 + NFS and
then a few months after 4.3 came out it was 4.3 + NFS. We saw a huge
performance gain in moving to 4.3; I'm convinced we'd have had to
buy another vax if we hadn't switched to 4.3.

That was a good company to work with. Nice folks, very responsive,
and they knew what they were doing.

UCB did the 4.4 distributions - both 4.4 and 4.4-lite. The latter
had all the AT&T code removed but wasn't fully bootable.

BSDI came along later and did Unix for the '386; their ads started
the whole lawsuit stuff. :-(  (Let's not rehash that, please!)

Arnold