[TUHS] Happy New Year and an amusing story from the past

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Jan 3 05:49:14 AEST 2015

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015, Ronald Natalie wrote:

> I guess y’all aren’t with the baptists.

Hilarious!

The AUUG conferences seem pretty tame by comparison; one year, we used the
menu holders as catapults (I don't know where we got the rubber bands) and
dotted the ceiling with toothpicks (they were still there at a subsequent
conference).  Or am I confusing that with a Caving conference?

At another (Warren will remember this one, as he was involved) we refaced
a Pyramid poster (KNOW UNIX, THINK PYRAMID) to "NO UNIX IN PYRAMID", with
the strategic application of napkins and some gaffer tape that we'd dug up
from somewhere...  Gary Jackson took it well.

At an early one, when Gould first came out, we social-engineered their
booth-marketoid into giving us root access; the buggers never did pay the
bounty, claiming that we'd cheated.  Well, yeah...

At yet another, we had a Sun 3/50 window connected to a Convex, and acted
all innocent when various dweebs did the old "echo 99k2vp..." etc trick.

Sigh; I miss the AUUG conferences.

> People took it pretty tongue in cheek when they were presented.  All
> except Redman who flew off the handle.

Some people have no sense of humour.  Did anyone actually, err, avail
themselves of this unique opportunity?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)