[TUHS] VAX faxing?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Jan 5 08:40:39 AEST 2015

Yeah - some of the modems were.  IIRC: Sam Leffler  (sam "usual email
punctuation" errno.com) did the original FlexFax SW and we had a couple
kicking around.  My memory is that the modems that could also support Fax
in those days, sucked at UUCP, so most of us did want to dedicate a phone
line to one of them.

Also the scanner interface was not very easy.   We tried to replace an HP
fax machine with SW, including a scanner and fax modem, but it was not very
satisfactory for the non-technical types.

I don't have any memory of "large-scale" use however.   What was cool was
some of the printers knew how to use PS as the format, instead of the
1860's style scanning [yes, FAX was invented for the US civil war and
originally ran over telegram lines - the current format is just a super-set
of the old mechanical scan system from those days].