[TUHS] VAX faxing?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon Jan 5 14:10:56 AEST 2015

> Telebit came along early with their UUCP g-protocol spoofing, but that predated all the Hayes et al FAX support.
>
> ​I don't think so.  I think it was about the same time.   We had both in the early 1980s when 120 cps was the fastest.  Hayes may have been later with Fax support, certainly with the 56K stuff, but we had fax support with the slower modems from another manufacturer who's name escapes me now [IIRC it started with a C, they were black and the SW interface was terrible/buggy].

Okay, nailing it down a bit more, according to my fuzzy memory ...

1982 ish:  1200 bps hayes (the black slab)

1084-5 ish: 2400 bps

1986 ish (telebit trailblazer)

1988 ish: trailblazer 2, v.32

I don't recall commodity FAX modem support until the V.34 stuff started rolling out circa 1994(?).  I'm curious to know of anyone shipping (interoperable) modem FAX bits before then.  I admit to not knowing of anyone or thing using V.17.

--lyndon