[TUHS] COHERENT sources released under 3-clause BSD license.

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jan 7 04:09:58 AEST 2015

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:04 AM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Rico Pajarola <rp at servium.ch> wrote:
> adding the list back
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Michael Kerpan <mjkerpan at kerpan.com> wrote:
> This is a cool development. Does this code build into a working version of Coherent or is this mainly useful to study? Either way, it should be interesting to look at the code for a clone specifically aimed at low-end hardware.
>
> Unknown (to me, anyway).  Steve said he had intended to organize and catalog the code at some point, but that he hasn't gotten around to it (and not to hold one's breath).  I gathered that the tar ball he provided is a snapshot of (a subset of?) the MWC development disks at the time he was asked to create the archive.  To that end, I suspect that if one were sufficiently motivated one *could* use it to build a distribution of COHERENT, but I suspect you'd have to know quite a bit about their internal development practices and release processes to do so successfully; knowledge that may very well have been lost over time.  Perhaps some motivated person will be able to reverse engineer it, though I suspect it's more useful as a case study than as working code.

Looking at the tarballs and the tarballs inside, this is a mess. It looks like it is all there, but there’s multiple copies of things that are almost identical, RCS files that are mostly enough, but not completely enough, etc. Plus they were using gcc 2.5.1 for compiling things, so using a more modern compiler likely will result in “difficulties”. There’s some docs laying around, but I haven’t read through them all. The collection needs curating TLC...

Warner