[TUHS] pdp11 UNIX memory allocation.

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Jan 8 03:27:33 AEST 2015

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015, Clem Cole wrote:

> I did not realized it [WCS] was an option.  ​IIRC we had it on the
> Teklabs 11/60, but we could not run the tools easily so we ended up
> never messing with it.

Our 11/60 certainly had it; I remember scouring the manual, trying to make
sense of it, but after five years studying at UNSW and eight years working
there (almost got long service leave!) I got itchy feet.  Besides,
although the CSU was a great place to work, I didn't like the plans to
merge it with the Chancellery (the bureaucratic centre), lest I come to
work one morning and find myself working on a COBOL program...

The provenance of the beast was that apparently a deal with some big
publishing house fell through (Limited News, perhaps?) and DEC was stuck
with a warehouse full of them; it seems the WCS was to be used for the
typesetting or something, I dunno; they could always have yanked the WCS?

[...]

> The only solution when that happened was the pull the circuit breaker
> power on the back of the machine because the front panel switched were
> lost.

Don't all 11s have the same key?  I used to carry one on my key-ring.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)