[TUHS] single user mode in v5 & v6

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jan 10 00:36:10 AEST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, why don't you set the SR before you boot the
> machine?
> That way it'll come up single user, and you can icheck/dcheck before you go
> to multi-user mode. I prefer doing it that way, there's as little as
> possible
> going on, in case the disk is slightly 'confused', so less chance any
> bit-rot
> will spread...

​Right and it's probably worth digging up the v6 version of fsck.  I had it
on tape but I worry that it might be 800 bpi which I have lost the ability
to read.  I need to find a working TS08.

Also remember for early UNIX, ps "knew" about some kernel data structures
and had to compiled with the same sources that your kernel used if you want
all the command field in particular to look reasonable.

I've forgotten when that got fixed, my memory is that V7 still had vestiges
of that issue i.e. it was not until post 4.1BSD that got ps got more
independant.   That said, until V8 and /proc that user mode utilities like
that got really cleaned up.

Clem