[TUHS] Termcap vs terminfo

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Sun Jan 11 19:16:21 AEST 2015

On 11/01/2015 04:06, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2015, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>
>> This drives me insane!  When I 'man foo' and find the relevant bits in
>> the document, when I quit out of the pager I want those bits to stay on
>> the screen so I can refer to them, dammit!  There are two shortcuts to
>> this, both involving custom termcap/terminfo entries.
>
> I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this "feature".

I agree it's maddening!  This is what I have on my .bashrc file to avoid
this behavior.

# Don't restore screen, quit at EOF, more-like prompt, pass color
control chars
export LESS=-XEmR

This problem, and the desire to use the vi key bindings instead of the
Emacs ones for command-line editing, are the reason I invested effort to
place my login configuration under Git control, and replicate it on the
tens of hosts I find myself logged in over a working day.  Now a simple
"git clone" restores sanity to my working environment.