[TUHS] Less -- was Termcap vs terminfo

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 13 01:32:47 AEST 2015

Brantley/Doug - I think you might be amused (or maybe disgusted) when the
3B2 came out.  I pointed out to Dennis that the bootloader was multiple
times of the size of 6th edition kernel and not nearly as easy to
understand.

Indeed, I agree that Pike's railing in "*cat -v considered harmful*" was a
telltale of bad things.  I always thought that many of my siblings at UCB
had lost the spirit of "UNIX Philosophy" of a "single small program doing
one job well" when the Vax "fixed" the address issues of the PDP-11.  It
allowed for sloppiness and programs grew without thought or bound.

Doug, while you describe "less" as the an example of decadence, I think a
better example of same is sendmail.    I have always said that if Eric had
left the SMTPD as a separate program (which is what is was when the TCP/IP
support came to UCB from BBN); sendmail would never have become what it
did.   The primary issue of header rewriting was not something most sites
had issues like UCB did - they just needed an SMTP interface and sendmail
was the SMTPD for 4.3BSD.  So sites picked it up because of that.

Clem