[TUHS] Less -- was Termcap vs terminfo

cowan at ccil.org cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jan 13 05:52:06 AEST 2015

> each program small and good at its one own thing.

I don't think it's sensible to apply this dictum to editors and viewers.
We don't, for example, have separate programs for inserting text, deleting
text, replacing text, scrolling a view up, scrolling a view down, and so
on.  Less is really a sort of ed without the ability to modify its buffer.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Some people open all the Windows; wise wives welcome the spring by moving
the Unix.  --Advertisement for Unix Book Units (U.K.)
(see http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/unix3image.gif)