[TUHS] sync; sync; sync; halt (was: Re: Illumos ))

Brantley Coile brantleycoile at me.com
Sat Jan 17 00:14:53 AEST 2015

Sixth Edition and 7th Edition are different.  Looking at the code, 6th Edition waits on the updates, but 7th Edition delays the writes(bdwrite()) and then calls bflush() when all finished.  The three sync’s were indeed to give the disk driver time to do all the IO sitting on the queue.  The HP driver used disksort() so those blocks wouldn’t necessarily be written in the order they were touched.

We used to use one sync and just watch the disk’s activity light.

Brantley
South Suite Software