[TUHS] success, bj assembled and linked in Unix v5

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Jun 14 11:41:55 AEST 2015

Norman Wilson scripsit:

> Oh, and I had already maniacally (and paranoiacally)
> excised from ftpd the code allowing ftp to change permissions.

I needed an FTP server some time back to support only *non*-anonymous
logins, where the logins had nothing to do with the underlying system.
I came up with this:

<http://ccil.org/~cowan/publish-ftpd>

I was going to add HTTP support with basic auth, but never got around
to it.

> I admit I can't think of a reason to use 744 offhand, since
> if you can read the file you can copy it and make the copy
> executable.

But it won't be owned by the original owner, which means any setuid bit
will give it the permissions of the copy-maker.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Awk!" sed Grep. "A fscking python is perloining my Ruby; let me bash
    him with a Cshell!  Vi didn't I mount it on a troff?" --Francis Turner