[TUHS] typesetting history

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:49:24 AEST 2015

Hello!
On a setup like that?
 I may not know UNIX as much as I want to, as much as all of you, but
I do know my way around a DG Eclipse and a Mergenthaler 202. Do recall
who set things up? Because they did it wrong. That Mergenthaler 202
had a dedicated port for communicating with the host. The tape reader
was only used upon starting the machine when it gets uncrated by the
company rep. The new users need to follow a series of steps to load
the fonts into the machines internal storage. The user needs to use a
special system to write a FST tape to do that.

Now if you were talking about a Mergenthaler VIP then yes you'd need
to go through the tape device, a special contraption was constructed
to translate serial into something the tape device understood.

How do I know this? My father ran a series of phototypesetting shops
each being run by DG hardware, including that fellow. While those
systems didn't run the dedicated OS that DG normally supplied, they
ran one written for the purposes of doing composition.

Incidentally some of the features of UNIX were constructed to do
phototypesetting, and in this case that's how copies of the C
programming book were originally set.

Now I freely admit if someone did indeed succeed in porting UNIX to
that DG, and in fact that's why the two were connected that way, but
for the vast majority of shops during the late 80s and during most of
the 90s who bought the software I've described and also the hardware
that's how it was done.

The one who did not. picked the same hardware, but an APS Mark 5 type
printer......

I'd give one of my favorite character's lives (if possible) to obtain
one of those specialized terminals..... It was similar to the Altair
and ASR33 (with paper tape reader/punch feature enabled) but it used a
VDT.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com