[TUHS] BSD manual set experience

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jun 18 05:53:05 AEST 2015

Prompted by another thread, I decided to share about some of my
experience with providing printed BSD manuals.

I was given a 4.4BSD set with the understanding that I would work on
preparing new print editions using NetBSD. It was a significant
undertaking. I ended up just doing Section 8 System. Here is a summary
of what I did:

- Build the NetBSD distribution (which gets the manual pages generated
or at least put in place).

- Manual clean up, like remove a link to manual page that wasn't needed
and remove a duplicated manual (in two sub-sections).

- Learned about permuted index (the long KWIC index cross-reference).
Generated a list of characters and terms to ignore for building my
permuted index. Wrote script to generate it, including converting to
LaTeX using longtable. This resulted in 2937 entries and was 68 pages in
printed book.

- Create list of all an section 8 pages, pruned for duplicate inodes.

- Also have a list of 40 filenames of other manpages to include in the
man8 book. These are system maintenance procedures or commands that are
in wrong section or could be section 8 (or weren't installed). (Examples
are ipftest, pkg_admin, postsuper.)

- Generate a sorted list of all the manuals.

- Look for any missing manual pages. Script to check for libexec or sbin
tools not in man8, such as supfilesrv or supscan is really supservers.8
and missing kdigest.8. Get those files in place as needed. I cannot
remember now, but I think I may have wrote some missing manuals or got
others to submit some (officially).

- Script to make sure all man pages are in order. This found some
duplicate manual pages with different inodes, wrong man macro DT values,
wrong filename, wrong sections, etc. Some of these were reported
upstream or fixed.

- Script to create the book as a single huge postscript file, then a
PDF. Reviewed the possible ROFF related errors and warnings.
(On 2009-10-23, it was 1304 pdf pages from 572 manuals.)

- Script to figure out licenses. This was substantial! It looked for
copyright patterns in manual source, excluded junk formatting like
revision control markers, include some extra licenses that weren't
included in the manpage itself (like GPL2). Then another script to
generate LaTeX from the copyrights and licenses. It removed duplicate
license statements and sorted the copyrights.  So some license
statements had many copyrights using the same license verbiage.

This represented 620 copyrighted files with approximately 683 copyright
lines and 109 different licenses. Yes 109! That resulted in
approximately 68 printed pages, pages 1461 through 1529. This didn't
duplicate any license verbiage. (I just realized that was the same
length as my permuted index.)

A few things to note:  Some authors chose to use different names for
different copyright statements. Some authors used their names or
assigned the copyright to the project. Some licenses included software
or authors names instead of generic terms. Many BSD style licenses were
slightly changed with different grammar, etc. Many contributors created
own license or reworded someone else's existing license text. As an
example: "If it breaks then you get to keep both pieces." :)

The four most common license statements represented 113 "THE REGENTS AND
CONTRIBUTORS" manuals, 75 "THE NETBSD FOUNDATION, INC." manuals, and 35
"IBM" (aka Postfix) manuals, and 30 generic "THE AUTHOR AND
CONTRIBUTORS" manuals.

I found many were missing licenses. I hunted down original authors,
looked in CVS history, etc to help resolve some of these. I also
reported about still missing licenses to the project. We will assume
they meant it is open source and can be distributed since nobody has
complained for years (even prior to my printed work) :)

- Generated a list of required advertising acknowledgments in LaTeX to
import into one printed book (and for webpage).

- Split my long PDF into two volumes. Used LaTeX pdfpages package and
includepdf to include the generated PDFs. I made sure the page numbers
continued in the second book from end of previous volume. (After
printing, I realized a mistake where the second volume had odd numbers
on left pages, but order is still correct, so I assume nobody else
noticed.)

Historically, the System Manager's Manual (SMM) also included other
system installation and administration documentation (in addition to the
manual pages). My work didn't include that documentation (some of which
was unmaintained since 4.4BSD in 1993 and covers some software and
features that are no longer included with NetBSD). That could be another
project.

I only did the SMM / manual section 8. I realized if I did all manuals,
my book set would be well over ten thousand printed pages. The amount of
work and initial printing costs would not be worth it with the little
money it could bring in. It was certainly a learning experience, plus
some benefit such as cleanup of some mandoc/roff code, filename renames,
copyright/license additions, and manual pages added.

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \