[TUHS] A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution gets the MSR '15 Best Data Showcase Award

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Wed May 20 02:48:06 AEST 2015

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:

>> Getting early NetBSD in there would help complete the continuity, seeing
>> as NetBSD was a fork of 386BSD, and FreeBSD a later fork of NetBSD.
>
> FreeBSD was never a fork of NetBSD. OpenBSD was a later fork of NetBSD.
> FreeBSD and NetBSD both forked from the patch kits that were produced for
> the 386BSD project.

I stand corrected!  Looking at Éric Lévénez' time line of Unix, I see
that you're right.  In my own recollection, the FreeBSD split, which
happened a few months after Chris Demetriou and others started NetBSD,
was out of NetBSD -- but it seems it was, after all, a parallel fork
from Bill Jolitz' code base.  (The whole thing triggered because he
didn't adopt the patch kits, and the NetBSD/FreeBSD separation taking
place because of differences of opinion on multi-architecture support.)

And, while it's a subject: the split was on very friendly terms.  :)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"