[TUHS] A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution gets the MSR '15 Best Data Showcase Award

Berny Goodheart berny at berwynlodge.com
Tue May 26 20:07:08 AEST 2015

>    On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com <mailto:clemc at ccc.com>
>    <mailto:clemc at ccc.com <mailto:clemc at ccc.com>>> wrote:
>
>        ? HP/UX is an SVR3 & OSF/1 ancester. Solaris is SVR4.  In fact
>        it was the SVR4 license and deal between Sun and AT&T)? that
>        forced the whole OSF creation.  One of the "principles" of the
>        OSF was "Fair and Stable" license terms.
>
>        Which begs a question - since Solaris was SVR4 based and was
>        made freely available via OpenSolaris et al, does that not
>        make SVR4 open?   I'm not a lawyer (nor play one on TV), but
>        it does seem like that sets some sort of precedent.

This is indeed an interesting question. During the IBM vs SCO debacle,
IBM requested the use of TMGE to be used as an example for proof of
how the SVR4 kernel algorithms were already out in the public domain
and thus set the precedent. And this was also (eventually) approved by
AT&T for publication.