[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Nov 9 14:34:13 AEST 2015

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 01:45:18AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2015, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > Just getting back to email (spent the day taking pictures at a hockey
> > tournament).
>
> A typical Canadian :-)  There is only one game, and it's called Cricket;
> where else can you see a sport that can take five days, and ends up in a
> draw?

I'd be proud to be Canadian but I'm American though my background is
I'm 1/2 Dutch and 1/4 Scotch and 1/4 Irish.  I've been told that makes
me a pragmatic cheap drunk, which isn't entirely wrong :)  My Dad was
a Rhodes scholar and met my mom in Europe; growing up I'd go live with
my grandmother in the Netherlands quite a bit, so the Dutch connection
is pretty real.

The hockey connection is just that I grew up in Wisconsin and played
pickup any chance I could.  It wasn't until I started coaching high
school hockey that I realized there was this thing called a team
and you might want to think about passing.  Pickup is all about
personal skills, there is no team in pickup...

We now return you to the quite fascinating discussion of getting some
Unix working on some 16 bit Zilog chip that can address 8MB in segments.
I'm actually jealous that anyone has the time to do this, it sounds
like a blast.  The computing world is pretty complex these days, look
at any Android phone.  I used to think that working on the kernel was
hard, and it is, but it is far more contained in some ways.  It would
be pleasant to be doing a bring up of Unix.

--lm