[TUHS] do you know about TUHS?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Nov 9 15:28:34 AEST 2015

Hi Marc,

TUHS == The Unix Historical Society, it's a mailing list as well as a
repository of Unix source code (including yours).  A lot of the Bell
Labs guys are on the list, it has weird topics like the current one of
how to get System III booting on a Zilog something that is 16 bits but
can address 8MB in segments.

There was a side discussion of PWB and SCCS came up and I started talking
about how cool SCCS was and how RCS gave it an undeserved bad rap. In
the process I said "I wish Marc was on this list" and John Cowan said
here is his email, go ask him.

I think you'd have fun on the list, it's old school unix.  Lots of signal,
very little noise.  I personally would love to have you there, SCCS was
brilliant.  It would be fun to pick your brain about how that happened.

And for the record your advanced unix programming book has influenced
how I code.  It error checks when there could be errors and passes when
there shouldn't be errors.  I feel like that book threaded the needle -
error checking matters except when it doesn't.  It taught me a lot and
I pass it on to anyone who will listen.

If you want to get on the list send an email to wkt at tuhs.org.  Be good
to have your voice here.

--lm