[TUHS] Porting 2.11 BSD

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Nov 22 00:39:46 AEST 2015

Hellwig made some great tips.

Two other thoughts..

1.) Make sure you understand the low level interrupt mechanism and how
interrupts are turned into real C proceedure calls and back again.   This
is traditionally handled in the *.s file - which in the case of BSD is spit
out by Sam's config program.   So you'll eventuall need to rewrite the
proper stuff for your system - although as a step 1, you'll create it by
hand.

2.) A thought might be to walk before you try running.  The MIT guys took
V6 and the Lions book and rewrote it for the x86.   They use it for their
undergrad OS course.   They have excellent materials and have updated the
V6 code for a modern compiler.     A year ago, I answered a Quora question
about learning the kernel this was:
https://www.quora.com/Which-Linux-kernel-versions-source-code-is-better-for-newbie-to-read/answer/Clem-Cole?__snids__=1310704238&__nsrc__=1&__filter__=all

The most relevant part I have cut/pasted here:

 "a modern take on a classic" - the course if being offered this fall at
the URL:   6.828 / Fall 2014 <http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2014/xv6.html>

The latest xv6 source is available via
        git clone git://pdos.csail.mit.edu/xv6/xv6.git
<http://git//pdos.csail.mit.edu/xv6/xv6.git>

Tools are can be found at:   6.828 / Fall 2014
<http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2014/tools.html>

Using the MIT course or the Lion's text will teach how the kernel works and
how a user program interacts with it.   IMO: Lion's commentary is super and
100% of the source is there to read and ponder.  Please remember that
generations of the best kernel hackers started with this document (although
some of us predate it - but when I saw it I made a copy).

​My point is gett​ing the V6 kernel running on your HW.  The take your
learning from that and try a BSD kernel.   The hardest part of the ports
will be common and the V6 kernel is going to be a lot easier to get
working, because it small and simple.

No you went get networking at all the cool BSD features, but if the idea to
learn how to do it, start small scale as the MythBuster's guys always do ;-)

Clem