[TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:59:35 AEST 2015

On 11/22/15 1:32 PM, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi all, I just receivd this e-mail from Will Senn who has just joined
> the TUHS mailing list:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Will Senn -----
> Hi,
> I am conducting research on older UNIX operating systems and came
> across a letter from Richard Wolf to Ian Johnstone, dated Feb 5, 1979.
> On p. 29 of the AUUGN, Volume 1 number 3, Mr. Wolf refers to a set of
> 101 fixes for research version 6. In my research, I am currently using
> v6 and wondered if you knew where I might find the fixes or if the
> bits are known to exist?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Will
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> Will, there was a "50 bugs" tape for 6th Edition Unix that was "released"
> to Unix owners in a very interesting distribution method: see
> http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20060616172103795
>
> You can find it in the Unix Archive. Look in Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz. It is the file usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes.
>
> Does anybody know of something which could be described as "101 fixes for
> research version 6"? The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.
>
> Cheers all and welcome to the list Will.
>
> 	Warren

Warren,

In looking at the Spencer tape, I can see how this might be considered
the 101 fixes (Wolff's comment that he had only "heard about" the
changes, might indicate a quantity mismatch). The 52 fixes in
usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes represent "the differences between level 6
unix and bell unix". On top of those changes, there are 31 additional
fixes called "CORRECTIONS to level 6 code" and a whopping 57 "programs
written specifically for or heavily modified for, AUSAM" which I suppose
are what are referred to as "ENHANCEMENTS to level 6 UNIX". The tape
contains "The Second Australian Sixth Edition" and has #ifdef's to
determine if the system is an AUSAM system. The 52 v6 fixes are
straightforward to see because the tape has the original source in one
directory tree and the changes in another. Whereas the other
enhancements and fixes are a bit more challenging because they are
related to AUSAM's mods.

Thanks for the warm welcome, the direction, and for posting my question.

One more question, how did you zero in on
Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz as containing the fixes, the
notes in the archive, from Spencer, are pretty bare:

    unsw3.tar is yet another anthology, this one Australian. I can't find a
    README file, but some quick experimental grepping doesn't find any dates
    later than 1977, so this one may be really early.

Regards,

Will