[TUHS] Porting 2.11 BSD

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:56:42 AEST 2015

What I would do personally is:
1. Run in an emulator such as the ones linked above, it will be heaps
easier than the bare hardware. Need not emulate your particular machine.
Preferably would emulate your Z800x CPU but even that isn't 100% essential.
2. Get yourself a 2.11bsd filesystem, best way might be install or download
2.11bsd for PDP-11 and run in simh. Hopefully the simulated disk is in raw
form so it can be moved between simh and your emulator, otherwise you could
modify one of the emulators or convert the file somehow.
3. Figure out a way of copying between your real disk and your simulated
disk. For example run an sshd under simh and "scp" to your disk. Or mount
your file as a tape and "dd" it over to your disk with correct name. Or
whatever, there could be existing utilities that can do this. (Kind of like
msdosutils on linux has a userspace implementation of vfat and can do
simple things to vfat formatted floppies or disk images).
4. Figure out how the bootstrap works and translate it to Z800x assembly.
In essence the boot sector will load the next 16 or so sectors into memory
and jump to it. Those 16 sectors contain a cutdown version of a 2.11bsd
filesystem mounted rdonly, enough to read superblock, locate inode table,
maybe locate /boot/kernel and then load and jump to it. I can send some
examples in Z80 code for my project. Or I can take a look in 2.11bsd and
tell you how this works.
5. You now have a cross assembler and linker and a development system. Get
C working too. Compile the kernel with as many things as possible disabled
-- no disk, network, etc. Find a way for dprintf() or similar to work --
such as polled output to a serial port, or even just defining an unused
Z8001 opcode to putchar() whatever is in R1. No need for any finesse here.
6. In the first line of the kernel startup put a dprintf of "hello world".
Copy resulting kernel to /boot/kernel or whatever it is supposed to be
called. Put similar diagnostics in your bootstrap. Run and debug until your
messages come out. Then gradually step through the kernel initialization
and main loop fixing things as you go. Eventually add more subsystems.

Nick