[TUHS] Porting 2.11 BSD

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Wed Nov 25 21:56:56 AEST 2015

Hi Nick,

why can't I just "reuse" my SYSIII linker which has all the support for
segmented and unsegmented binaries what a.out does not support. The Zilog
format is called s.out.

I thought I could teach the BSD kernel how to execute s.out binaries
(how to execute them is already there in my SYSIII sources) and I could
just reuse the ld and sld (for segmented programms) from my SYSIII?

Please check the header for all the magics currently supported.
https://github.com/OlliL/P8000/blob/master/WEGA/src/head/s.out.h

So why should I use the COFF assembler at all? I plan to do the development
on my current SYSIII-System where I have all the toolchain available....

I still don't see the need of an cross-compiler-environment while I have
the real hardware there capable of compiling my code.... I would just go
and fill up the BSD kernel with functionality, reboot the system, load the
kernel and do that until it goes up and tries to mount rootfs. When
this happens, I'll go and teach my boot0-loader UFS and start creating an
UFS harddisk and put the kernel onto that. Until that point I could even
test all my stuff on my SYSIII-Filesystem. And I guess it will be LOTS of
time until I reach the step when the rootfs is being accessed.

Oliver