[TUHS] Scan of "Edition 0" manual

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Mon Nov 30 03:51:19 AEST 2015

Thanks, Doug and Warren, for the new files at

	http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/

At the TUHS mirror at my site, you can find an additional file

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/mirrors/minnie.tuhs.org/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/UnixEditionZero-OCR.pdf
	ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/mirrors/minnie.tuhs.org/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/UnixEditionZero-OCR.pdf

that is less than half the size, and is (somewhat) searchable, thanks
to Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 OCR conversion.  Please include that in the
TUHS master archive, even renaming it to the original file, if you
wish.

I like the beginning of "Section 2. Hardware", where Dennis wrote:

>> The PDP-11 on which UNIX is implemented is a 16-bit 12K computer,
>> and UNIX occupies 8K words. More than half of this space, however, is
>> utilized for a variable number of disk buffers; with some loss of
>> speed the number of buffers could be cut significantly.

How much more powerful early Unix was compared to CP/M and MS-DOS, in
a small fraction of their memory space!